Thursday, June 23, 2011

Retirement party day and a funny story

The girls are filling out nicely and there are pics from the retirement party.  Check out the Chickghetto and the girls in the pics that follow.

But I now officially enter phase 2 of my life. Never really seriously considered life after teaching but feeling like I have lost my "touch" and affection for working with students (for a myriad of reasons, most of which is our dumb down society where if one isn't constantly stimulated with something new and exciting, then it's so-o-o boring. I use to say, kiddingly, if it's not about me, don't waste your breath. Unfortunately that statement has become the new normal with our youth.), I need to move on to something else.

So this older guy is in Burger King last Friday (the day of my r-party) and while chatting innocently about the weather, he finds out I retiring and rips into me about not have a set plan.
me: I'm taking a gap year to hang out and find where life takes me.
guy: won't work! You'll be looking to do something in 2-3 months.
me: Well, I am going to some travel with my wife.
guy: Do you travel with her now?
me: No, because I was working.
guy: You won't now either. It just won't happen. Look, I know, I did a study of this. I'm retired from 3 jobs and now have my 4th job. When you retire you loose your sense of identity, your reason for living, you end up sitting around. I know this is correct.
me (last question, and yes I know I'm foolish for sticking around this long): What do you do now?
guy: work at the liquor store 20-26 hours a week. Can't wait for the schedule to come out so I can plan my week, great place to work and ...
me: I have to leave now.
guy: Good luck but remember what I said.
me: Yeppers...

Talk about a WHEW moment! Day of big retirement party, are revved up, tons of people will be milling about the pool and deck with drinks and food. Nice music, family, friends, colleagues and this stranger is pissing on my parade. Through my mixed metaphor I start wondering is this karma at work, is he sending out a valid warning to me? Then return to planet earth and start thinking this guy has probably been FIRED from 3 jobs and he's calling it being retired. Now the fiery lecture starts to take on more meaning.

My attitude is God has always taken care of my family and myself. No need to stop trusting Him in leading me in a direction. I know I will be able to make choices as I move along.

So on this day 1 morning daughter #2 is going to make me an spinach goat cheese omelette using the "girls" eggs and then we'll head to the mall and I'm going to get me an Iphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment